The Bible is undeniably the greatest book ever written. Its greatness is made evident because it alone reveals the mind, will, and infinite wisdom of God to mortal man by way of inspiration (2 Timothy 3:16-17). While the scriptures were indeed written by men it is important to note they were inspired and the Holy Spirit revealed every word supplied to them (1 Corinthians 2:13; 2 Peter 1:21).
It is only through the Bible that we learn of the very purpose for our existence (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14). It is from this inspired message that we learn about God and his character is revealed to us. The Bible reveals that God is love (1 John 4:8) and that he manifested his love for mankind by sending Jesus his only Son to die for the sins of the world (John 3:16). Before you begin reading the series of articles about the Bible let us list some Bible facts.
- The word Bible is derived from the Greek word biblos which means a book.
- God used about 40 people in writing the Bible.
- The writing of the Bible took about 1500 years.
- The Bible contains 66 books all of which are inspired (God breathed).
- Two major divisions of the Bible
A. The Old Testament containing 39 books written in Hebrew.
B. The New Testament containing 29 books written for the most part in Koine Greek.
- Three dispensations or ages are recognized in the Bible.
A. Patriarchal age - Adam to Moses
B. Jewish age - Exodus 20 to Acts 2
C. Gospel age - Acts 2 until the return of the Lord. We are living in the gospel dispensation or New Testament period of time.
- Men assigned names to the 66 books of the Bible to help in the study of the scriptures.
- The Bible was divided into chapters by Hugo in 1240.
- The Bible was divided into verses at a later date.
- The Bible is the standard by which we will be judged in the last day. It is the Book of books (Revelation 20:12; John 12:48).
The Bible is the final revelation from God to man (Jude 3). In this final revelation are warnings about changing or perverting the words from God (Galatians 1:6-9; Revelation 22:18-19).
Enjoy these articles about the Bible as it is indeed the "BOOK of Books" and our guide from earth to heaven (James 1:21).